Thank you for signing up!
10 Health Benefits of Green Smoothies
Watch a FREE live webcast with author and raw foodie Victoria Boutenko this Wednesday, April 25, at 7 pm EST on GaiamTV.com. Have a question you’d like Victoria to answer during the show? Ask it here!
1. Green smoothies are very nutritious. The ratio of nutrients in them is optimal for human consumption; about 60 percent ripe organic fruit mixed with about 40 percent organic greens.
2. Green smoothies are easy to digest. When blended well, most of the cells in the greens and fruits are ruptured, making the valuable nutrients easy for the body to assimilate. Green smoothies literally start to get absorbed in your mouth.
3. Green smoothies, as opposed to juices, are a complete food because they still have fiber. Consuming fiber is important for our elimination system.
4. Green smoothies are among the most palatable dishes for humans of all ages. With a 60:40 ratio of fruits to veggies, the fruit taste dominates the flavor, while the greens balance out the sweetness of the fruit, adding a nice zest to it. Even people who eat a Standard American Diet enjoy the taste of green smoothies. They are usually quite surprised that something so green could taste so nice!
5. A molecule of chlorophyll closely resembles a molecule of human blood. According to teachings of Dr. Ann Wigmore, “consuming chlorophyll is like receiving a healthy blood transfusion.” Many people do not consume enough greens — even those who stay on a raw food diet. By drinking two or three cups of green smoothies daily, you will consume enough greens to nourish your body, and all of the beneficial nutrients will be well assimilated.
6. Green smoothies are easy to make and quick to clean up after. In contrast, juicing greens is time consuming, messy and expensive. Many people abandon drinking green juices on a regular basis for those reasons. To prepare a pitcher of green smoothie takes less than 5 minutes, including cleaning.
7. Green smoothies have proven to be loved by children of all ages, including babies of six or more months old. Of course you have to be careful and slowly increase the amount of smoothies to avoid food allergies.
8. When consuming your greens in the form of green smoothies, you are greatly reducing the consumption of oils and salt in your diet.
9. Regular consumption of green smoothies forms a good habit of eating greens. After a few weeks of drinking green smoothies, most people start to crave and enjoy eating more greens. Eating enough greens is often a problem with many people, especially children.
10. While fresh is always best, green smoothies will keep in the refrigerator for up to three days, which can be handy at work and while traveling.
Need ideas for what to put in your green smoothie? Find reader-recommended recipes here.