Thank you for signing up!
What to Do If You Live With a Hoarder
- “You don’t care about yourself or your environment.”
- “You don’t care about how your clutter affects me.”
- “You must have a disorganized mind.”
- “It’s not important for you to have things organized.”
- “You’re a slob!”
- “Your stuff is more important than me!”
- “Just throw it away! It’s no big deal!”
- “You don’t need to keep that.”
- “You’re never going to use/wear that.”
- “Just get rid of it. You won’t miss it.”
- “I know this is hard for you.”
- “Let me know how I can help.”
- “You don’t have to fix this problem overnight.”
- “Let’s find ways to simplify the process.”
- “Don’t look at the big picture. Take baby steps.”
- “When you get overwhelmed, take a break and remember your goal is to live a healthier life.”
- “We are a team!”
- “Help me understand where you have the most difficulty.”
- “What things are important to you in your home?”
- “Let me know how I can best support you; you are in charge of how this process of decluttering goes.”
Finally, be prepared to compromise. Your goal, if you’re helping someone who hoards or anyone who clutters, is to find that middle ground where you can both be comfortable.
Think you may be the one with the hoarding or clutter problem? Take this quiz to find out.