Thank you for signing up!
30 Ways You Are Saving The Earth
1. "My boyfriend and I decided to take less long car trips this summer, to save money on gas and also lessen our contribution to polluting the air. When we can, we try to walk to the grocery store, church, coffee shops, etc. in our neighborhood."
2. "We use natural, earth friendly products for laundry and household cleaning."
3. "We've got free range chickens whose eggs get traded in at the local health food market."
5. "We turn up our thermostat by 5 degrees in the summer and down by 5 in the winter."
6. "My husband and I are planning our retirement home and it is going to be a green home. We're putting every type of green building product in it we can afford."
7. "We have a solar water heater and are replacing all our light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs. We are conscious about reducing our car trips and take our bikes for short trips to the post office."
8. "About a month ago I bought a little 50cc scooter and tool all around town on it with my 5-year-old daughter. It gets more than 100 MPG in the city and costs about $5 to fill up an empty tank with super premium. I added a big basket on the back and I go grocery shopping, take her to gymnastics, visit the grandparents."
10. "We always buy recycled paper products and green and nontoxic cleaning products made by companies that are authentically environmentally responsible. I won't use products with toxic fumes anymore."
11. "My husband started riding the bus to work. Since he drives a truck this makes a big difference."
12. "I have sold my home (in a horrible market!), donated almost everything I own, bought a hybrid and will soon be moving to live in an intentional community that is in the early stages. Currently there is solar power already in place and a spring feeds three ponds."
13. "We try to support environmentally conscious and sustainable products and services."
14. "Most of my lights have CFL bulbs, my yard and garden are organic, I drive a hybrid, pay extra for green energy (wind and small hydro), try to keep the heat down and the AC off, walk when I can, and shop locally."
15. "We try to use less packaging. For a while we were putting Horizon's single-serving chocolate milks in our son's lunchbox, but that packaging is totally guilt inducing, so we just bought some small spill proof reusable plastic containers and we make chocolate milk in those and pack in his lunches."
16. "I bought a yurt and plan to build a straw bale home in the future."
17. "I installed a surge protecting 'smart' power strip on my microwave so that I can turn off all power to it when it's not in use, and now it's used as an expensive bread box."
18. "We try to get to the farmers’ market several times each summer or we ask people we know to pick up produce for us when they go. We also get produce from my sister's garden."
19. "We recycle and compost. My son has a little neighborhood recycling pickup business. We don't have household pick up for recycling so we take in recycling for our neighbors, hopefully encouraging them to recycle more."
20. "We use CF bulbs whenever possible, unplug every single electric item in the house when it's not in use, and use our own grocery bags at as many local farmers’ markets as we can find. My daughter is always asking, "Is that green, Mama?" So at least she is getting the message."
21. "I just bought a clothes line so I can stop using the dryer in the warmer months."
22. "I try to grow everything I can so I do not have to buy produce in the grocery store. I grow things that can store easily like potatoes and carrots. A large garden can take a lot of work but the payoff is so great."
24. "I've been a vegetarian for 10 years. Being a meat eater can have a big environmental impact. Also, we eat organic and buy locally grown organic produce."
25. "I'm very good at recycling everything that I can. I unplug the big appliances like microwave, TV, lamps, etc when I'm not using them."
26. "I bring my own bags when I go shopping everywhere, and happily explain to the checkout person why when they ask."
27. "I'm helping to grow most of our meatless foods (I've been a vegetarian for nine years). We also want to grow herbs to sell to restaurants in town."
28."We use reusable shopping bags and keep them in the car, though I admit we forget them sometimes. Also, I opt out of a bag when buying just one or two things that are easy to carry."
29. "I moved to a higher density area with some walkable amenities. And I try to use my job as an urban planner to shape more walkable, sustainable communities and push builders towards clustering new development to conserve more open space and farmland while still allowing for necessary growth."
30. "Our daughter is an architecture student and very interested in green building because we raised her to believe that is important."
What are you doing to reduce your impact on the Earth? Add your go green tips to the comments below!